Child and Dependent Care

Funding for child care services is usually provided by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Service’s National Child Care Information Center (NCCIC) through block grants to each state. The best place to start regarding child care assistance is the state or county Department of Human Services, Child Care Services, or Family Services.

If a student is on public assistance, Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) is a state and federal program that provides funds for support services and family assistance.

The Department of Labor’s Employment and Training Administration provides assistance to qualified dislocated workers. Similar programs include the Department of Labor’s Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act (WIOA) formerly called the Workforce Investment Act (WIA) which supports state Workforce Investment Boards (WIBs).

Funding to Tribal/Native Americans from the Department of Labor may also be available.

The Institute for Urban and Minority Education is a website that addresses some of the issues discussed in this chapter.


Categories: Support Services

Program Components